GrrlScientist and the Icy Path of DOOOM

Dec 22 2010 Published by under Medicine & Health

As I write this, I'm waiting to hear from GrrlScientist or the hospital. Last night she slipped in the ice and snow on a very slick piece of pavement - she fell, I then slipped but stayed upright, and then a man behind us came to help, and slipped too. Now, people who have been following Grrl's travails over the last few years know that she's broken bones before, so she's experienced with these things. This time, she was fairly sure she had fractured her elbow, and also had a large bump on her head, but still insisted we made some buttered rum mix before calling an ambulance.

Icy Patch of DOOOM, as seen from above

At the hospital we did the usual: wait for her to be examined, wait to be x-rayed, wait to be re-examined (different doctor, of course), wait for pain meds and cast, wait to be taken to ward, wait for anaesthetist etc. etc. Overall, the waiting/action ration was roughly the same as a typical game of American football, and lasted about as long. The outcome was that her head wasn't a worry - no concussion - but she has fractured her ulna. We're hoping we'll get the x-rays to look at. The doctors weren't too worried, but decided that they should operate to put a plate in her elbow with some screws, to hold the bone whilst it heals. Because she had had something to drink, they couldn't do it until this morning. Now I'm waiting to hear how the operation went. They wouldn't let Grrl watch, so she was probably under a general anaesthetic.

We live-tweeted the hospital visit (@Grrlscientist and @bobohara), if anyone wants to follow in detail. The phone signal in the hospital was variable, but seemed to be better in Grrl's ward. She did send me home to get her iPhone charger, so she'll be back online when she's awake.

So, thanks for all the best wishes for Grrl from fellow tweeps. As suggested by @McDawg, this should be the theme tune for the day:

Hopefully Grrl will be allowed home tomorrow. The hospital is just down the road, but I don't think we'll be walking. So perhaps this should be the theme tune for tomorrow:

• tideliar says:

Just saw the tweet: @GrrlScientist awoke from surgery in hysterics

So, hopefully all is well. Good luck to both of you

• Bob O'H says:

Yeah, that's only encouraging after the initial "eeek!" has worn off. I'll pack her toothbrush, and get down there now. I guess we'll be updating the virtual world on Twitter for a bit.

• Eep. Hang in there, you two!

• kdcosta says:

Sending lots of good thoughts and well wishes to both of you. Hang in there.

• Fred the Bulbous Squidge says:

Ouch! Love and hugs to Grrl, at least now Bob you get to wear that nurse's uniform you've been hiding away all these years.

• Bob O'H says:

I got back from the hospital earlier. Grrl is OK, but her arm's a bit painful. Hopefully they'll let her out tomorrow, with plenty of painkillers. She appreciated all of your messages of support, though. Even Fred's...

• D. C. Sessions says:

Bob, have the two of you considered training wheels?

OK, jokes aside: best wishes. Watch the noggin, though; if you really want to know why, write.

• Tziporah says:

I'm sorry to read that Grrl has had another ice adventure. I'm grateful that it happened in a country that believes in healthcare. I hope the docs gave her good pain pills and that she heals quickly.

• Bob O'H says:

Thanks, folks. Grrl is now at home, after spending most of yesterday nagging the doctors and nurses to let her out. We've done all the shopping, and are now settling in for next few days with the buttered rum. Which tastes delicious.

The pain meds are doing their job, so the main problem is gonig to be Grrl's inactivity. Especially as it's snowing again, so it's going to be horribly slippy over the next few days.

• Tziporah says:

Grrl, I am glad that you are home with the comfort of Bob, the birds and the Beast. May you heal quickly.

• Tom English says:

My best to Grrl. Be careful with the buttered rum and pain meds.

• I hope Grrl is doing okay. Tell her I'm wishing her well and thinking good karmic thoughts (even though as a scientist, I know karma isn't real).