Harry Potter and the Elements of Lehrer

Nov 13 2010 Published by under Harry Potter, Silliness, Streaming videos

Daniel Radcliffe has now gone up inestimably in my estimation [huh?]. He thinks Tom Lehrer is "the cleverest and funniest man of the twentieth Century" (beating even Dan Quayle?):

Booo! It looks like I can't get a YouTube video of Tom Lehrer singing his song in this country. So you'll have to try to find one yourself. But you can watch this instead:

• Kausik Datta says:

Hey, Bob! I just got a YouTube video for you, and saved it on the comp. Send me an email and I can attach that to the reply.

• Lou Jost says:

Thanks for that! I hadn't heard Tom L in 30-some years. YouTube is wonderful, I found lots more....My favorite is his song about Nicolai Ivanaovitch Lobachevski's advice to scientists:

• Fred the Bulbous Squidge says:

On the down side, Daniel Radcliffe also admitted to being a fan of the X-Factor. So what you gain in chips, you lose in peas.

• Tom English says:

First time for me to see Lehrer perform. Thanks for that.

• Bob O'H says:

There's quite a bit more on YouTube. He did a few new songs recently, which are in colour. I assume that was to an audience of his scientific peers.

• cromercrox says:

Must show these to Crox Minima (aged 10, keen on Daniel Radcliffe) and Crox Minor (aged 12, whom I have already indoctrinated with the delights of Tom Lehrer, Flanders and Swann, PDQ Bach and so on).

• cromercrox says:

It's a shame that Radcliffe didn't quote Leher's final lines on The Elements song, which to me sums it all up:

'These are the only ones of which the news has come to Harvard
    There may be many others but thay haven't been Discarvard'

• Bob O'H says:

The final lines make less sense now.

A couple of years ago I saw a YouTube video with The Elements that used the little motif Lehrer plays at the end to list the elements that Harvard subsequently read about (presumably in a mag whose name begins with either S or N).